Thursday, August 11, 2011

Early Days

Dear Friend,
  I titled this one "Early Days" because these memories go pretty far back in my up bringing.  Jr high, I guess is when we met.  I say I guess because it's hard to pinpoint "Jr. high" when you attend the same school from grades K-8th.  But those were the days!  Gosh, I can't even remember what grade we actually met it anymore.  You hadn't always attended Farm you, so it must have been 6th or 7th grade.  I'm thinking 7th.  I only remember us hanging out your house a lot on the weekends.  I feel like we had so much in common back then.  It was an awkward time for us both.  It's hard when your no longer a girl, but not quite a woman...hahaha, gotta love when you quote some Brittany Spears.  We are both the first born, coming from pretty strict backgrounds (good parents, just stick) and we were both pretty responsible for our younger siblings.  Lets see, I remember listening to a lot of Boyz to Men.  In fact I always think of you when I hear them.  You sang alot, I always thought you had a beautiful voice.  You still sing now as I understand it and I'm so glad because I know it's something that makes you happy. Oh! One of my most favorite memories was going away on some church re-treat type thing.  I have no idea where we were, but we really did have a good time.  You, me and your oldest of two brothers.  The two of yall usually fought a good bit but on that particular trip we were all just having a really good time.  It was good, clean fun and I don't remember any real details, just laughing the whole trip!  Oh, another good one.  You were the very first person the give me the nick name "Danny".  Actually we both had nick names and yours rhymed with mine.  LOL!  It didn't stick then and it's funny now, my husband and his entire family call me by that name.  But again, I will always think of you because your were the first person to call me that on a regular basis.  I probably never told you this but what I got most out of our friendship was being true to myself.  It may not seem like I did a very good job of being confident then or even later in high school, but I firmly believe if it hadn't been for you and I being friends I probably would have tried WAY harder than necessary to fit in.  We were just young girls trying to get through the most awkward time of life, adolescence. We drifted apart while at Union Pines but we have re-connected over the years thanks to FB and blogging.  And although we haven't seen each other face to face in long time, I feel like if we would share lunch, it would be one filled with alot of laughs and smiles.  Your blog makes me smile and for whatever its worth, I'm very proud of you and just want say "Thank You" for your friendship.  Thank you for great memories and truly, one of the most important lesson in life..."be true to thine self".  I write this letter to you, friend.  Hope you enjoyed taking a trip down memory lane.

1 comment:

  1. Remember during that same time naming boys after crayons?

    ReplyDelete