Thursday, January 27, 2011

My Girl

  So here she is, the lovely Rosie.  I took her off Shay's hands when she decided that right after bringing the puppy to her house, it wasn't good idea.  Shay was too smitten to think it through, she didn't have the space or the time (at that particular moment in her life) to own a puppy.  It wasn't fair though.  Shay said that there was a couple standing in front of Food Lion just giving these puppies away and she Fell. In. Love when she saw Rosie (not yet name yet)  So Shay calls me and in her most pathetic voice begs me to take the puppy off her hands.  I have to admit, I was reluctant at first.  Well truthfully, I didn't want the dog.  I hadn't met her yet and I was sure that she was every bit as cute as she sounded to be, but what I wanted was a chocolate lab that the very soon to be hubby had already promised.  At the end of the month, we'd be married and settled into our new house and then, we'd get a lab.  But, when I laid eyes on Rosie for the first time later that very same day Shay begged me to take her home with me, I really just couldn't resist.  She was just as cute and adorable as Shay bragged she was.  I fell in love with her just as quickly as I think Shay did.

 Jeremy followed suit.  Although he almost choked when I walked in the door with her, it took approx. 5 mins and he wouldn't let me hold again for the rest of the night.  Shay and I had already named her back at her house.  I like to named my animals after food...I know, it may sound a little weird but whatever.
We debated and through out a bunch a ideas when finally one of us said "how about the herb, Rosemary?"  Yeah, I think I could like that.  Rosemary Marie Mickey...Rosie.

 I give the back story because last weekend she had to go into the vet's office...again.  It ain't good kids.  My baby has a tumor in her right hind leg most likely wrapped around her sciatic nerve.  It also appears to be malignant.  It was a long and agonizing weekend for Jeremy and I while we discussed what step to take next.  She's not even 8 yrs old yet!  How could I let her go?  I know that sounds selfish and it is, but bare in mind that as of right now her quality of life is still pretty good.  But it will only get worse if we do nothing.  Thus, we have decided to operate.  Our risks are great but the reward is worth it.  Rosie could just as easily wake up, feel great, use her leg again, and live a while longer.  I don't know how much longer, most likely the cancer will appear again.  BUT, we'll be ready to let her go if and when it does.  I would never make my dog suffer just because I'm emtionaly attached.

She's my first baby and still I think of  her as a puppy.  She enjoys walks on the beach, meaty dog treats, belly rubs, sleeping in between Jeremy and I, and loves to travel.  I'm just not ready to say good bye without a fight.  So next Thursday, she goes in for surgery.  I could lose her that very day or I could keep her, making her happy and healthy for a while longer.  I kiss her everyday and tell her just so she doesn't forget how much I appreciate being her "mommy".  She's wonderful!  I love her and everyone around her loves her.  I'm praying for the best and I'm going to keep thinking positively.  So here's to great dogs that have made our lives happier in countless ways.  Here's to my Rosie and many more walks around the park and on the beach!

1 comment:

  1. Very sweet. I pray Rosie is okay, and lives a LONG, Healthy, and VERY happy life. My husband had a dog with Cancer, and she lived to be 16. I also understand the feeling or not wanting to let them go... I spend over $2000 on my dog, when he was hit by a car. The vet offered to just put him to sleep ( since I guess it was the cheapest way to go)but I felt it was fair to 'rob' him of his time on this earth b/c of MONEY. Good luck, and I pray your oldest baby will be fine.

    ReplyDelete